Royal Robbins –
Vol 1 – To Be Brave
Vol 2 – Fail Falling
In Volume One, To Be Brave, Robbins holds the reader breathless with tales of adventure. Climb step by step with Robbins on his historic solo ascent of Yosemite’s Leaning Tower. Discover how the young Robbins transformed himself into the master climber that he is today.
Fail Falling is the second volume in the series and tells Royal’s historic early first ascents, including Half Dome and Sentinel Rock in Yosemite Valley, and his daring climb of the Open Book route at Tahquitz Rock. It’s a swift, adventurous read that leaves you feeling as if you had accompanied Royal on his thrilling climbs.
May 27th, 2011 -
4:00 PM MDT
October 24th, 2011
Incremental bids must be at least $10 higher than the previous bid.
The high bidder on the last day wins, and has 1 week to submit payment.
Anyone can participate; you do not have to be a member of the Highpointers Club.
The books will be sent via registered mail.
All proceeds benefit the Highpointers Foundation. The amount donated is tax deductible beyond the ordinary value of the book; consult your tax professional.
Royal Robbins’ accomplishments as rock climber and adventurer are legendary. An early advocate of boltless, pitonless clean climbing, he did much to transform the climbing culture to minimize the human impact on the vertical wilderness and protect its natural features. As a rock-climbing pioneer, he broke through existing standards to create wholly new skill and difficulty levels. In the 50’s, 60’s and into the 70’s, Robbins established one daring new climb after another, among them many revered classics on Yosemite’s Half Dome and El Capitan.
For Robbins, the real adventure is the inner one. By focusing upon the minds, emotions, and spirits of those involved, he relates climbing escapades in terms everyone can understand.
Upcoming Highpointer Events
- Sat 6/1/2013: Charles Mound Open Access Date
- Sat 6/29/2013: Cops on Top Summit for Heros
- Sat 7/6/2013: Charles Mound Open Access Date
- Fri 7/19/2013: Maine 2013 Convention
- Sat 8/3/2013: Charles Mound Open Access Date
- Sat 9/7/2013: Charles Mound Open Access Date
- Sun 6/29/2014: Apex Challenge 2
- Thu 7/24/2014: Highpointers 2014 Convention
- 2013 Assault on Mount Mitchell Bicycle Ride on May 20
- Package to Climb Elbert for $650
- Descendents of 1913 First Ascent of Mount McKinley Prepare Centennial Climb
- Katahdin from Lake Millinocket on January 13, 2013
- Paradise on Mount Rainier is 20 Degree Warmer Than Seattle in Bizarre Temperature Inversion
- Wounded Warrior Among 3 Injured in Tuckerman Ravine Avalanche
- Merry Christmas!
- Small Forest Fire on Mount Mansfield
- Curiosity’s Shot of Aeolis Mons on Mars Sure Looks Like Mount McKinley
- SPOT Used in Gannett Peak Rescue
- NPS Considering Dramatic Changes to Camp Muir on Mount Rainier
- Photo of Summit Stewards on Mount Marcy
- Dramatic Timelapse Video of Star Trails on Mount Washington
- New Barn Quilt Added to Hawkeye Point
- Proposal to Rename Talkeetna Ranger Station for First McKinley Climber Walter Harper
- 4 McKinley Climbers Presumed Dead in Avalanche
- Body of New Hampshire Creavasse
- Finnish Skiier Killed While Skiing Down Mount McKinley
- Unroped Climber Falls to Death While Attempting to Retrieve Backpack on McKinley
- Investigation Into How McKinley Climber Perished While Following Guide’s Orders and Another Climber Ignoring the Orders Survived
Tags2004 2nd Quarter 2004 4th Quarter 2005 1st Quarter 2005 4th Quarter 2005 Mount Washington 2006 Mount Mitchell 2007 Timms Hill 2008 Humphreys Peak 2009 High Point New Jersey 2010 Convention 2011 Convention 2012 Convention About the Club Access Restrictions Aron Ralston Chairman Column Charity Climbs Completer stories Conventions DC Email Alerts Frank Ashley Awards General Highpointers Foundation Interviews Iowa Membership Member Updates Merc Minutes - Board Minutes - General Membership Mississippi New Jersey New Products Newsletter Obituaries podcast Polls Rhode Island Silent Auction States Tennessee Video Videos Vin Hoeman