Items in Issue #99 of Apex to Zenith include (Winter 2012):
*Cover – Rainier shadow in the clouds; John Mitchler with early completer Mitch Michaud
*2 – Newly minted 50 completer Dave Covill looking at Chris’s Father Day card on Denali; 50 completer Bob Dowling on Granite Peak; Michael Vander Lugt and family on Taum Sauk.
*3 – Stan Baumgarner reaches 48 on Greylock; Bob Bolton and #48 on Panorama Point; 50 completer Tereas Gergen on Denali.
*4-5 – Reprint of Jakk Longacre’s first newsletter of June 8, 1987
*6-7 – Interview by Don Berens with help of John Mitchler and Mitch Michaud (50 completer #2) who now lives in Worcster, Massachussets.
*8 – Jerry Brekhus on highest named hills in each state
*9 – Highpoint updates including Illinois open dates: June 1& 2; July 6 & 7; August 3 & 4; September 7 & 8
*10 – Highpoint photos – Rick Hartman with Humphreys Peak sign, old 7.3 mph sign on Jakk’s old property in Missouri; the before and after of Frissell’s new registration after Stony Burk extenively modified.
*11 – 50 completer Bob Dowling
*12 – 50 completer Dave Covill
*13 – 50 completer Michael Vander Lugt
*14 – 50 completer Teresa Gergen
*15 – 48 finisher Bob Bolton
*16 – 48 finisher Stan Bumgarner
*17 – Editor’s Note and President’s Message on Board election
*18 – Ray and Jan Nelson Membership update
*19 – Klimbin Kollaborator, call for nominations for Board of Direction. Calendar deadline for submission is May 15 firstname.lastname@example.org
*20 – Tripoint trip reports by Greg Weiler & Jean Newcomer
*21 – Michael Bayer on highpointing ND – SD – NE – KS – OK in Rattlesnake Alley
*22-25 – Maine registration and packet
*26 – County highpointer
*27 – Dennis Poulin on Oregon County highpointing
*28-29 – S.afety O.n S.ummits about Mount Hood by Rick Hartman
*30 – Highpointers Foundation updates
*31 – Stony Burk update on state summits
*32 – K. Kyle Atkins poem from his collection “Verse from the High Sierra.”
*33 – James Suits on 360 degree highpoint photography
*34-35 – K. Kyle Atkins on Optical Phenomena in High Places
*36-37 – Merc catalog
*38 – Highpoint Benchs sponsored by Highpointers Foundation
*39 – Claim of most states in one day by William Andress – 8 states RI MA CT NJ DE DC PA MD, 8 miles hiking, 1,000 miles driving) in 22 hours 35 hours; Eden-Cass Covill climbs Panorama Point at the age of 144 hours.
*40-41 – Milestones – John Mitchler on various records.
*42-43 -Milestone color photos
*44 Back cover
Upcoming Highpointer Events
- Joseph Gray Wins Mount Washington Road Race in 58:15
- Brent Okita Summits Rainier for 500th Time
- Baxter Begins Requiring Katahdin Permits For AT Thru Hikers
- Denali National Park Restoring Office/Cabin of First Superintendent Henry P. “Harry” Karstens
- Mount Magazine Looking for Old Photos
- June Snow on Mauna Kea
- June Snow on Mount Washington
- Guadalupe vs. Everest: Which is Better?
- Bug Season in the Adirondacks
- Guadalupe Peak Reopens As Coyote Fire Threat Subsides
- Body of Alex Lowe found on Mount Shishapangma
- Czech Dies While Attempting to Ski Down Denali’s Messner Couloir
- Clingmans Dome Seeks Help to Repair Foundation of Summit Tower
- Guadalupe Peak Closed as Fire Spreads
- Fatalities on Everest in 4 Consecutive May Days
- Video of CCC Building Cheaha Tower
- Harney Peak Crews Clearing Beetle Damaged Trees
- Conspiracy Theories Over Mount Washington 100 MPH Wind Video
- More than 100 Earthquakes on Mount Hood on May 15-16
- US Board of Geographic Names Formally Considers Change of Harney Peak to Black Elk Peak or Thunder Peak
Tags2004 2nd Quarter 2004 4th Quarter 2005 Mount Washington 2006 Mount Mitchell 2007 Timms Hill 2009 High Point New Jersey 2010 Convention 2011 Convention 2012 Convention 2013 Convention 2014 Convention Access Restrictions Aron Ralston Chairman Column Charity Climbs Completer stories Conventions Email Alerts Frank Ashley Awards General Highpointers Foundation Iowa Jakk Longacre Memorial John Mitchler Membership Member Updates Merc Minutes - Board Minutes - General Membership Mississippi Movies New Jersey Newsletter Obituaries Paul Zumwalt Award podcast Polls Rhode Island Silent Auction States Tennessee Tim Webb Video Videos Vin Hoeman