Upcoming Highpointer Events
- Nepal Earthquake Lowered Everest by 2.8 CM
- At least 17 Killed Avalanche at Everest Base Camp Following 7.8 Earthquake
- Protestors Arrested for Blocking Road to Mauna Kea Summit
- South Dakota Board on Geographic Names Considering Proposal to Rename Harney Peak To Black Elk Peak
- Snow Dragon Ice Cave on West Side of Mount Hood Partially Collapses
- Mount Washington Officially Second Coldest Place on Earth On February 16
- Solo Hiker Dies on Presidentials During Extreme Weather
- Proposal to Rename South Elbert to Mount William & Mary
- Kevin Jorgesona dn Tommy Caldwell Climb Yosemite’s Dawn Wall of El Capitan in 19 days
- CNN Story on Lowest Highpoints
- Lonnie Dupre Has Become the First to Solo Climb McKinley in January
- Cold Enough to Freeze Bubbles on Mount Washington
- 85-year-old Webster Groves Man Called Oldest to Summit Kilimanjaro
- Nifty Video of the Cheaha Pinhoti the Turkey New Year’s Drop
- Extensive Changes Planned for Abol Trail on Katahdin
- Badwater Ultramarathon Returns to Death Valley
- Air Force Cadets Attempt to Climb “50 States 50 Summits”
- Mauna Kea Access Road Closure Possible on October 7 During 30 Meter Telescope Dedication
- Barbara Polk Washburn (1914-2014) – First Female Climber of Mount McKinley
- Second Annual Black Mountain Madness Bicycle Ride on October 4, 2014
Tags2004 2nd Quarter 2004 4th Quarter 2005 Mount Washington 2006 Mount Mitchell 2007 Timms Hill 2009 High Point New Jersey 2010 Convention 2011 Convention 2012 Convention 2013 Convention 2014 Convention Access Restrictions Aron Ralston Chairman Column Charity Climbs Completer stories Conventions Email Alerts Frank Ashley Awards General Highpointers Foundation Iowa Jakk Longacre Memorial John Mitchler Membership Member Updates Merc Minutes - Board Minutes - General Membership Mississippi Movies New Jersey Newsletter Obituaries Paul Zumwalt Award podcast Polls Rhode Island Silent Auction States Tennessee Tim Webb Video Videos Vin Hoeman
Author Archives: roger
Highpointer Matt Moniz survived the avalanche that killed at least 18 people at the Everest base camp on Saturday, April 28. Here’s an interview with him on Colorado Public Radio. (audio) Matt’s facebook page Matt’s profile as associate director at … Continue reading
Charles Mound is private property with the owners house near the summit. In its history has been closed to the public and there has been a fee. The owners have given us permission to visit the summit during daylight hours … Continue reading
Connecticut Outdoors has a nice article “Reaching the Top of America” by Dirk Langefled that includes an interview with Club President Time Webb.
2014-2015 Board of Directors: Bottom Row Left to Right: Don Holmes, Ray Nelson, Mark Comstock, Nikki Hemphill, Kathy Delsaso, Kamell Abdenour Second Row: Jim Sutton, Mick Dunn, Tim Webb, John Keator, Gary Szelc, Marion Bauman Not Pictured Eric Lichtenstein and … Continue reading
We are thrilled to see the first trailer Gary Scurka and Kathleen Wolffe’s new film American Highpoints by Every Step Productions. Gary and Kathleen have attended club conventions and interviewed numerous members in the preparation for their movie.
Thanks Heyward Douglass, executive director of the Foothills Trail Conference, for the shoot out of the Highpointers Club in a wonderful article about the new viewing platform on Sassafras Mountain that appeared in the Citizen-Times on February 9, 2015, in … Continue reading
The Woodall Mountain summit dedicated during the 2010 convention but which disappeared shortly afterwards has been recovered after being discovered hidden in a well and tied to a garden hose. Great job! The text of the announcement: PLAQUE RECOVERED – … Continue reading
The 2015 Highpointers Calendar is available at The Merc.
Rhode Island Governor Lincoln D. Chafee attended Wednesday, October 22, 2014, formal transfer of Jerimoth Hill from Brown University to the state who was represented by Dean David Targan. Highpointer Club liaison Stony Burk who has been active in facilitating … Continue reading
Highpointer Michael Hylland has a very nice and slick page on Highpoint Geology!