Upcoming Highpointer Events
- Air Force Cadets Attempt to Climb “50 States 50 Summits”
- Mauna Kea Access Road Closure Possible on October 7 During 30 Meter Telescope Dedication
- Barbara Polk Washburn (1914-2014) – First Female Climber of Mount McKinley
- Second Annual Black Mountain Madness Bicycle Ride on October 4, 2014
- Proposal to Rename Harney Peak to Black Elk Peak
- Fatality at Mirror Lake West of Outpost Camp on Mount Whitney
- Writer Karen Sykes Believed Killed on Rainier
- 3 Helicopter Rescues in June on Katahdin
- Mount Magazine Butterfly Festival June 20-21
- Baxter Closes Katahdin’s Abol Trail For Season Following Rock Slide
- 4 Climbers and 2 Guides Killed on Rainier’s Liberty Ridge
- Idaho Swarm Earthquakes Subsiding
- First Everest Summiter in 2014 Flew Up By Helicopter
- Profile of Bravo Company Which Does Helicopter Rescues on Rainier
- Climber Falls 1,000 Feet From Hood Summit
- Hood Snowpack Surges from 50 to 99% of Normal
- Mount Washington Warns on April Avalanches at Tuckerman Ravine
- Everest Jump Live Cancelled After Joby Ogwyn Loses Sherpa in Deadly Avalanche
- New York 46er Video
- North Dakota Says Public Can’t Comment on Drilling Proposals Affecting Private Land Including Impact on White Butte
Tags2004 2nd Quarter 2004 4th Quarter 2005 Mount Washington 2006 Mount Mitchell 2007 Timms Hill 2009 High Point New Jersey 2010 Convention 2011 Convention 2012 Convention 2013 Convention 2014 Convention Access Restrictions Aron Ralston Chairman Column Charity Climbs Completer stories Conventions Email Alerts Frank Ashley Awards General Highpointers Foundation Indiana Interviews Iowa Jakk Longacre Memorial John Mitchler Membership Member Updates Merc Minutes - Board Minutes - General Membership Mississippi New Jersey Newsletter Obituaries Paul Zumwalt Award podcast Polls Rhode Island Silent Auction States Tennessee Video Videos Vin Hoeman
Tag Archives: Rhode Island
Rhode Island Governor Lincoln D. Chafee will attend an event at 9 a.m., Wednesday, October 22, 2014, celebrating the state acquisition of Jerimoth Hill from Brown University.
NPR’s Emmett FitzGerald has a wonderful 10 minute segment featuring Roy Wallen and Stony Burk at Jerimoth Hill.
The Providence Journal reports today (December 6, 2011) that Rhode Island is buying the Jerimoth Hill for $100,000 from Brown University. The Highpointers Club through Stony Burk and Dave Covill have been working on making the summit more accessible for … Continue reading
Peter Mandel on the Providence Journal mentions corresponding with the Highpointers Club and the accompanying photo shows the Club signs on Jerimoth Hill in an article on October 17, 2010 headlined “How my assault on Jerimouth Hill came up short.”
Jeff & Debbie Mosley, the new owners of Jerimoth Hill, have dramatically changed the access rules. They are permitting highpointers to visit the highpoint from 8 a.m. to 4p.m. 52 weeks a year!
U.S. Sen. Lincoln D. Chafee has announced an allocation of $1 million in federal highway funds to guarantee access to Jerimoth Hill. The announcement came after numerous meetings with Club Member Stony Burk.
Bill Littlefield of the NPR “It’s Only A Game” show visited Jerimoth Hill during the Labor Day 2005 clean up and trail work and had a 7 minute interview with club members.
The new private owners of the Jerimoth Hill — Jeff and Deb Mosley — authorized the Highpointers Club to build a new trail to the Jerimoth Hill summit.
Robert Siegel, anchor of All Things Considered, interviewed Highpointers Club Chairman (and webmeister) Roger Rowlett on August 22, 2005 about the Mosley’s opening Jerimoth Hill to club members. Here’s the mp3 interview.