Black Mesa 9/04/04

Home Private: Forums Oklahoma-Black Mesa Black Mesa 9/04/04

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Chris K. on March 29 2005 at 10:42 PM]

This was number three for myself and numero uno for my lovely wife Melissa. We were on our way to Breckenridge, CO for our annv. over Labor Day week coming from Dallas. We decided to drive up to Colorado instead of flying to experience the sites along the way.

After an early start on Saturday morning we made it through Amarillo and then north through Dalhart, TX toward Kenton, OK. We made it to Kenton at about 1:00 PM and stopped at “The Merc” for directions and a diet Coke. Alan was very helpful and talked with us for a bit, giving us some helpful hints about the hike. After that we left “The Merc” and reached the trailhead and were on our way to OK’s state highpoint. We probably should have brought more water but in the end it was OK. The hike is a pleasant one that winds fairly flat to the north of Black Mesa till you come to the switchbacks. Here the trail goes up. It does not last for long but if you are not in good shape it will take a bit of effort. After the switchbacks it is a 15-20 minute walk to the highpoint marker. I want to thank the Tulsa newspaper for putting such a nice marker on their states highpoint. The hike back to the trailhead was uneventful except for the little horned lizard we saw getting back.

All in all it was a good trip, a little hot, but still a good trip and a good start for my wife. On to Mt. Sunflower, KS.

Chris K. , Allen, TX

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.