Granite Peak on Aug 31

Home Private: Forums Montana-Granite Peak Granite Peak on Aug 31

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: James Wedekind on September 3 2002 at 10:54 AM]

I just returned from a great trip up Granite Peak over the Labor Day weekend, and wanted to share some information that might help others on their trip.
      First off, Frozen to Death Plateau is monstrous. There are plenty of campsites spread over the entire plateau and there seems to be water nearly every 0.25 mile. I camped lower down on FTDP because of concerns that there wouldn’t be sites further along. The next day as I headed towards the saddle (and summit) I saw 10-20 more sites that had easily accessible water.
      Also be aware that the plateau is a giant dogleg left… in case you don’t bring a map just keep following the plateau as it heads left and continues toward Tempest Mountain. A GPS receiver is very useful as the plateau does not provide many memorable landmarks (was instrumental when I returned to camp after summitting).
      The snow bridge was non-existent, although there was still lots of snow it is easily bypassed on the South side. There is no need for an ice axe.
      Route finding is challenging, try to bring a good route description. The keyhole is located w/in 30ft of the summit, and provides a good landmark. As you head up the last section stay to the right of the direct chimney that heads to the keyhole.
      The switchbacks that head up from Mystic Lake are well graded and seem to never end, but they were made infinetly more enjoyable by the profusion of huckle and black berries along the trail.
      This peak is spectacular! It is rugged and daunting, but provides a route just easy enough that ropes and technical gear are not necessary (this assumes that exposure does not bother you, and you are a safety conscious climber who meticulously checks holds). The day I climbed Granite there were 7 total people on the mountain. I would not want to be on the mountain if there were more people than that. There is a lot of loose rock and much of the route follows a line where you are partially exposed to rock fall.
      The alpine scenery and the challenging climbing made this my favorite HP to date.
      If you have any additional questions please feel free to email me and I’ll respond to the best of my knowledge. weeds19@aol.com

– JW

highpointersclub
      Participant

Granite questions??

[Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Serge Massad on July 24 2003 at 1:40 PM]

Hi Jim,

I just came back (unsuccesfully) from Granite and we turned around at Tempest Mountain which is 4 hours shy of the summit.

I was wondering if the proper summit route from Tempest Mountain involves climbing the face of the mountain that is visible to us from Tempest or if there is a more “normal” route from the hidden face (behind) that we don’t see from Tempest.

Basically , I was wondering if we would have gone through the col from Tempest/Granite, if we would have seen a more proper route from there.

I am asking you this question because I intend of going back there in mid August 2003 and I would like to be reassured that there is another route beside the 90 degree vertical that we saw from Tempest.

Thank you in advance.

Serge

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.