Guadalupe Pk.

Home Private: Forums Texas-Guadalupe Peak Guadalupe Pk.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Roger Williams on May 27 2003 at 4:32 PM]

Climbed Guadalupe on May 6 as part of a “SW Safari” visiting points from Spanish Peaks which I’ve climbed before (road to saddle trail still snowed in) to ranges in Oklahoma (climbed Black Mesa a few years ago) & Monument Rocks in Kansas. Of course I also visited Carlsbad Caverns which I last visited in 1962. The natural-entrance route was excellent; so was the Bat Flight which was on by then. The climb to the radio towers behind White’s City was worth while for the view including G’pe and El Capitan in the distance; and acres of prickly-pear in bloom.

G’pe was my 14th HP, plus many abroad including 2 continents. It was excellent, in mild sunny weather, v. windy. The scenic climb took 5 hours with the famous summmit obelisk appearing by surprise, close by, shortly after you pass some hitching rails. It was rather hazy and I couldn’t see the Franklin Mts. by El Paso, or the big dome behind Juarez; they may be over the horizon. There was also a register in an old ammunition box, like Black Mesa; it was full already but I got my name in. I enjoyed the views, the changes in vegetation and the trip up McKittrick Canyon and the steep nature trail as well. I continued to Pecos, Odessa Crater and some low but colorful ranges in Oklahoma.

Roger Williams, Boulder, Colo.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.