Hawkeye Point, Iowa 08-02-04

Home Private: Forums Iowa-Hawkeye Point Hawkeye Point, Iowa 08-02-04

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jerry Bresnahan on November 6 2004 at 6:09 PM]

I visited Hawkeye Point, the Highpoint of Iowa at 1670 feet, on Monday, August 2nd, 2004. It was my 27th state highpoint.

I checked out of the Motel 6 in Mitchell, SD on Monday morning and arrived at Hawkeye Point at 1:30PM. Although it was a warm and sunny day I was concerned about snow and glacial ice formations at higher altitudes. Fortunately, since I was returning home from the Konvention in Washington, and an unsuccessful first attempt at climbing Mt. Rainier, I had my plastic boots, crampons and ice axe with me in my car. I carried them with me in my backpack but as it turned out I did not need them. I was able to find a clear, and mostly dry trail. I remembered to practice my rest step and pressure breathing all the way to the summit. Thankfully I felt no serious problems from the altitude.

The Sterlers were not at home that afternoon but there was a box with Hawkeye Point key chains in it near the sign in book. I was glad to see that other visitors had already placed small donations in the box to help cover the cost of the key chains. I signed the book and spent about 15 minutes at the summit before beginning my descent.

After I reached my car, and as I was leaving, I met a fellow highpointer from New Hampshire. I spoke with him briefly and gave him directions to the trail I followed to the summit. I then headed east taking the scenic non-interstate route through Iowa and Illinois, arriving at my home in Algonquin, IL later that night. It was good to be home after being away from home for over 6 weeks.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.