Highpointing on Highpoint 10/11/2007

Home Private: Forums New Jersey-High Point Highpointing on Highpoint 10/11/2007

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: MalibuBill on October 26 2007 at 7:11 PM]

After the rigorous drive up Ebright my wife and I headed for New Jersey’s Highpoint. Having lived on the Pacific all my life in my mind’s eye I saw NJ as a toxic waste dump, that view exacerbated I suppose by all the unpleasant remarks from New York TV shows.

What a pleasant surprise. Once we were free of the traffic on I95 we proceeded west and north through some very pleasant country, although the clouds were a concern. We found the rolling hillsides and farm country quite pretty and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The brief time in New York (Port Jervis) was the first time I had been in that state other than transferring planes. The entire area was worth the trip. Some of the trees were turning, but not many. The only place similar in CA that I have seen is the Buttermilk country in the Eastern Sierra.

The tower was closed, but we thoroughly enjoyed our picnic lunch in damp, cold, drizzly conditions. The park is very nice. We even received a call from a friend who had been in China inviting us to Octoberfest back in Santa Barbara.

The cold day gave way to a blinding deluge on 95 south through Jersey. Traffic slowed to below 30, which was too fast since none of us could see anything. We’re very glad to have visited this spot and this state – it was eye opening to say the least.

Loyalty to the country always – loyalty to the government when it deserves it
      ——— Mark Twain

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.