Hoosier High Point 10-16-03

Home Private: Forums Indiana-Hoosier Hill Hoosier High Point 10-16-03

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jerry Bresnahan on March 13 2004 at 6:31 PM]

I scaled Hoosier High Point, the Highpoint of Indiana at 1,257 feet, on Thursday afternoon, October 16th, 2003. It was my 10th state highpoint.

I left my home in Algonquin, IL at 10:15AM Central Time and arrived at Hoosier High Point at 5:00PM Eastern Time. It was a typical fall day, cloudy and 55 degrees. I enjoyed the scenic drive north on SR 227. There was little traffic and the rolling hills gave it a “roller coaster” feel. It was obvious from the gouges in the pavement that some fun loving, possibly intoxicated, individuals had gone airborne as they drove over some of these hills. The area in general was very nice and the houses and yards were particularly well kept.

The Hoosier High Point itself was not well kept and in fact was run down and in a state of disrepair. The steps on the highpoint side of the stile were broken. The two benches were severely damaged and there was no HP marker sign on the 4 x 4 protruding from the cairn. I also could not find a sign in book. It appears that this highpoint has been visited by vandals but the damage did not appear to be recent. It makes me angry to see this kind of senseless damage but overall I enjoyed my solitary visit to Hoosier High Point.

It started raining shortly after I left Hoosier High Point. I continued north on SR 227 to Union City and then east on SR 47 toward Bellefontaine, OH and Campbell Hill, Ohio’s highpoint.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.