Magazine Mountain – NOT Mount Magazine

Home Private: Forums Arkansas-Mount Magazine Magazine Mountain – NOT Mount Magazine

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Rik Anderson on July 11 2009 at 3:45 PM]

It is a bit surprising to me that this web site has taken to calling the highest point of Arkansas "Mount Magazine". The Geograpic Names Index System (GNIS) of the USGS indicates that the official name of this feature is "Magazine Mountain", not "Mount Magazine", and that is the name that appears on USGS maps.

Although not a hard and fast rule, generally "Mount Xxxxx" is used for a peak, and "Xxxx Mountain" is more frequently used for ridges, which better describes this feature. Magazine Mountian appears in the GNIS as a ridge, with Signal Hill identified as its summit. "Mount Magazine" is the name used by the Arkansas state park, which no doubt has led to the widespread use of the unofficial name for the mountain, but it is not the officially accepted name.

All four of the guidebooks published to date on the subject of state highpoints have used the correct nomenclature.

I’m working on correcting this for entries in such places as Summitpost.org and Wikipedia. I think web sites associated with Highpointers should do the same.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.