Mt Borah / Lost Backpack: Labor Day Weekend – Sept 4, 2005

Home Private: Forums Idaho-Borah Peak Mt Borah / Lost Backpack: Labor Day Weekend – Sept 4, 2005

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Clay Lyon on September 6 2005 at 9:30 AM]

Beautiful weather and ideal conditions followed our group of 11 and a dog up the trail on Mt Borah two days ago. As it’s covered well in other posts, I won’t detail the trail descriptions but to say it’s steep! We covered the first 1/2 of the ascent in a little over 2 hrs, but then slowed considerably. We left 3 and the dog behind at the start of chicken out ridge, then left another 4 at the saddle, leaving my 12 yr old, my brother, nephew and I to complete the final 900 feet. Achieved summit in 6 hrs.

A request: please keep on eye out for a Columbia light gray backpack on the mountain about 1/2 way up the final 900 feet to the top! We took it off the 12 yr old while I carried his extra clothes to the top. I didn’t realize how perfectly his pack blends in to the rock, and although we left it on the ‘trail’, there are so many twists and turns on the final stretch we couldn’t locate it coming back down! Sorry, Borah. If anyone sees it, please pull it off the mountain for us. Email me at above address and I’ll forward money to mail it back to us if possible. THANKS!

Otherwise we had a splendid day – but it was alot of work, too. We all made it down safely and had a big meal afterwards!!! Total 11 hrs for our group of 11. 12 yr old slowed us down considerably on the final ascent over Chickenout ridge and scramble to top, then I slowed us down considerably on the way down with a blister and general fatigue!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.