Mt Davis 10-28-03

Home Private: Forums Pennsylvania-Mount Davis Mt Davis 10-28-03

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jerry Bresnahan on March 13 2004 at 6:51 PM]

I rose to the summit of Mt. Davis, the Highpoint of Pennsylvania at 3,213 feet, on Tuesday afternoon, October 28th, 2003. It was my 14th state highpoint.

I left my Father’s house in New Jersey at 9:00AM and arrived at Mt. Davis at 3:30PM. It was a clear 50-degree fall day. When I first arrived there was a car with Florida license plates in the parking lot however the people quickly walked to the summit and soon left the area and then I had the mountain all to myself. I climbed the tower, looked at all the exhibits and walked a short trail back to the parking lot. It was quite windy on the tower and I had to hold on to my hat.

I followed the directions provided in the Winger’s guidebook going to Mt. Davis and followed the directions in Don Holmes’ guidebook leaving Mt. Davis. The primary route from the town of Meyersdale, provided by Don Holmes, is actually a better road that is paved all the way to the highpoint and would be the best route if coming south from the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but the only route provided by Charlie and Diane Winger is a lot shorter if you are coming north from I-68 which is probably the way most people would take. This route is listed as an alternate route in the Holmes guidebook. This is Amish country so watch for slow moving horse and buggies on both routes. I saw several on the roadway and many more in peoples’ yards. As I was leaving Mt. Davis I noticed a big sign on SR 2004 indicating that this point of the road was crossing Mt. Davis, the highest point in Pennsylvania. I wonder how many people see that sign and think they are actually at the highpoint and don’t go any further.

If it had still been summer I would have continued south to climb Backbone Mountain in Maryland but since it was starting to get dark I drove back east, where I had seen quite a few Motels from I-68, to try to find a reasonable room for the night. With an early start it would be fairly easy to complete the highpoints of Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Virginia all in one day, especially during summer months when it stays light until 9:00PM. The first few Motels I checked were either full or close to being full and all were more expensive than I prefer. I try not to spend more than $50 per night, especially when I’m by myself. I finally stopped at the Slumberland Motel in Lavale, MD, which had a sign advertising “Senior Discounts”. I got one of their last rooms for $49.80 with my AARP discount. I guess there’s at least one good thing about getting old. I asked why the Motels in the area were so booked and the owner said it was mostly construction workers. I didn’t notice any but apparently there must be lots of construction going on somewhere in the area.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.