Mt. Greylock – 04-21-04

Home Private: Forums Massachusetts-Mount Greylock Mt. Greylock – 04-21-04

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jerry Bresnahan on June 6 2004 at 3:51 PM]

I hiked to the top of Mt. Greylock, the Highpoint of Massachusetts at 3,491 feet, on Wednesday, April 21st, 2004. It was originally my 3rd state highpoint when I drove to the summit back on September 17, 2002. I was not yet an official member of the Highpointers Club at that time.

I decided that this time I would hike to the summit via the Cheshire Harbor Trail/Appalachian Trail, which is listed as Alternate Route 2 and described in Don Holmes’ guidebook Highpoints of the United States. Mt. Greylock is the first state highpoint that I have completed twice.

I drove to the Cheshire Harbor Trailhead near Adams, MA and began my hike at 11:10AM. The temperature was 60 degrees and I soon took off my sweatshirt. The trail was wet and rocky but not too steep, at least not compared to Mt. Frissell, which I completed a few days earlier. The cool breeze felt good until I reached the Appalachian Trail. The wind grew stronger and cold and I put my sweatshirt back on. I was surprised to see quite a bit of snow along the Appalachian Trail, especially since the area had experienced record warm temperatures in the 80’s a couple days earlier. There was actually over a foot of snow on the trail in some areas. The last ½ mile of the Appalachian Trail was the steepest and most difficult. I reached the summit at 1:00PM. There were a few hikers in the area but there were no cars in the parking lot and the Bascom Lodge was closed with a large snowdrift covering the front door. I believe the road was probably closed since I saw no cars during the half hour I spent at the summit eating my lunch and looking at the excellent views. I did notice I sign that said parking was $3.00. I don’t recall paying to park last time I was there in 2002. The tower was also closed, as it was the last time I was there.

I decided to take the Gould Trail back down the mountain for a change of scenery. After following the Gould Trail approx. 2/3 of the way down the mountain I reached the Pecks Creek Loop Trail on the right. I took that trail which looped back to the Cheshire Harbor Trail. I remembered passing it on the way up. The Pecks Creek Loop Trail was steep and it crossed a beautiful creek & falls. Don Holmes shows the Alternate Route 2 – Cheshire Harbor Trail/Appalachian Trail as a 6.4 mile round trip hike. I would estimate that taking the Gould and Pecks Creek Loop Trails added about 1 mile to my hike. I arrived back at my car at 2:50PM. I drove back to my timeshare condo in Lenox, MA stopping at Ben & Jerry’s, in Pittsfield, for a chocolate fix.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.