My First Highpoint

Home Private: Forums Oklahoma-Black Mesa My First Highpoint

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jerry Toops on June 21 2006 at 12:40 PM]

I made the hike to the highest point in Oklahoma on April 21, 2006. I traveled from Tulsa to Clayton NM and spent the night in order to get an early start the next day. The morning was clear and cool, with a bright quarter moon leading the way. I passed a herd of mule deer on the way to the trailhead, but otherwise, I was alone. The hike goes pleasantly along a well-marked trail until reaching the base of the mesa. A series of switchbacks allow access to the top of the mesa. The assent is moderate for a flat-lander, but is rather short. At the top of the mesa the hike again is flat and through grassland to the monument that marks the highpoint. The mesa extends to the west into New Mexico and the view from this vantage point is worth the effort. Be aware that the trail does not extend to this point and the footing is uneven on the volcanic rock. Cactus abounds and rattlesnakes have been seen in the area.

After signing the logbook and having a snack, I made the return trip, seeing antelope who were more curious of me than frightened. Overall, an interesting hike and one I will return to again. Next is Guadalupe Peak in Texas.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.