TIMMS HILL, 01 MAY 2004

Home Private: Forums Wisconsin-Timms Hill TIMMS HILL, 01 MAY 2004

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Mark Stauter on May 4 2004 at 5:44 PM]

I was in Milwaukee for a conference last week, so I decided to visit Timms Hill on Saturday, 01 May, before returning to Missouri.

There is certainly no problem in finding this high point, as Timms Hill is in a County Park accessible from WI-86. Just drive west from Tomahawk or east from Ogema and you can’t miss it.

There is a parking lot just below the summit that is reached on a semi-paved one-way road. One car was in the lot when I got there around noon. The trail to the high point is well-marked (and all uphill!) and about a quarter-mile or so in length.

It was still leaf-off in northern Wisconsin on May first, and the wooden observation tower became visible soon after starting out. Next to the wooden tower is a taller, metal tower that appears to be a communications facility.

As I reached the summit I saw a vehicle parked adjacent to the observation tower. And, when I climbed to the top of the observation tower I could see that a man wearing earphones was in the small hut atop the communications tower. What that was all about I have no idea. There is an unmarked dirt road to the summit that must turn off from the public access road. The vehicle had Wisconsin State Park and National Forest Recreation Area stickers, but did not appear to be official.

In any case it was a beautiful day, sunny, breezy, and about +50F, and the view from the observation tower was excellent. I understand that the area received some snow that night!

I saw no one else at the summit, but on the way down I met a young mother and her three children on a springtime outing. The county park makes this a very pleasant high point for a family to visit.

This was high point #20 for me.

Mark Stauter
      Rolla, Mo.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.