Woodall Mountain, Mississippi 10-25-04

Home Private: Forums Mississippi-Woodall Mountain Woodall Mountain, Mississippi 10-25-04

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jerry Bresnahan on November 3 2004 at 8:09 PM]

I drove to the top of Woodall Mountain, the Highpoint of Mississippi at 806 feet, on Monday, October 25, 2004. It was my 29th state highpoint.

After leaving the Motel 6 in Montgomery, AL I drove north on I-65 and then northeast onto SR 72. From the town of Luka, MS I followed the directions provided in the Winger’s guidebook Highpoint Adventures arriving at Woodall Mountain at 2:45PM. It was clear and 80 degrees. There was no sign or even a sign frame to mark the highpoint of Mississippi but I was surprised to see how clean the area was after reading how bad it had been trashed in the past. Somebody has obviously been making an effort here. There was even a nice concrete picnic table and benches. I was also surprised to see how pretty the views were from this mountain. This would almost be an enjoyable place to picnic and spend the day if it weren’t for all the towers and fences, but overall I enjoyed my visit to Woodall Mountain. It wasn’t my favorite highpoint but I enjoyed it more than several I can readily think of, such as Delaware, Kentucky and South Carolina.

After spending about 20 minutes on Woodall Mountain I headed north, arriving at my home in Algonquin, IL at about 3:00AM. It was good to be home after spending the past month in Sunny Florida but I wasn’t looking forward to all the work I had to catch up on.

highpointersclub
      Participant

Re: Woodall Mountain, Mississippi 10-25-04

[Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Anonymous on November 8 2004 at 12:36 PM]

On November 6, 2004 we reached Woodall Mtn, our first of 50 highpoints. We got there late the night of the 5th, found a nice place to roll the truck into and slept in the back. The next morning we summited. Even though this highpoint was not spectacular, we look forward to many more!
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.