Newsletter - #105-14q2-p17 - Andy Martin
April 8, 2014 - This point is located just a couple miles south of Interstate 8. Take exit 186 in California, and head south on Algodones Road about 1/2 a mile. You cross the All American canal, and maybe 1/4 mile further turn left on to a good dirt road.
A topo map is handy to see the road layout, as most of the dirt road is missing from Google Maps.
The road turns SSW and heads directly to the border. You will soon see the border fence in the distance.
We were perhaps 1/10 mile from this tall sheet metal fence when we noticed a border patrol vehicle just to our right, on the side of the road. I talked with the agent for several minutes. He did not prohibit our travel onward, but remarked ...
1) We could not see monument 206 through the fence.
2) Watch out for the sand near the fence, or you will get stuck.
3) People throw rocks over the fence.
4) Bullets from Mexico can easily cross into the USA, and will not pause to clear customs.
5) Four people were recently shot dead outside a dentist office in the small Mexican town across the border.
I parked near the fence (being careful to stay on the new dark gravel, and avoid the deep loose sand) and headed west along the fence. There were small square holes I could peer through, and eventually I spotted the metal monument, in fine shape, a few feet on the other side of the fence.