A personal best

Home Private: Forums Oklahoma-Black Mesa A personal best

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Travis Sutton Byrd on March 6 2012 at 12:50 PM]

Did Black Mesa (after Magazine Mtn in Arkansas) on my way to San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico on a roadtrip in January,2001. Got to the trailhead in late afternoon with 2.5 feet of snow on the ground. As I was heading to the Sea of Cortez, I was woefully unprepared for the conditions at hand, but set off anyway. Actually made decent time postholing thru the snow. On top of the mesa, the wind chilled me rapidly, the featureless tableland was covered in white, the trail was burried, and route-finding nightmare ensued. Finally located the oblisk right at dusk then hoofed it via headlamp of the mesa and back down… by then the snow had re-frozen and my footprints were potentially ankle-snapping pitfalls… eventually made it out to the trailhead… exhausted,very cold, and actually scared (had I snapped that ankle…); but I was also exhillerated!
      In Kenton, Alan was still open and so he invited me in to warm up. Got my completion certificate,which I still PRIZE. Having done Hood in the winter, an overnight at Mt. Marcy in January, and others like Cotopaxi and Chimborazo in the Andes, this is still an unforgetable adventure and perhaps my most memorable HP.
      I’m looking forward to getting back and doing Black Mesa as a HIKE… the way it should be… on a trip out West with my girlfriend this May/June.
      Anonymous
      Inactive

You got a completion certificate for doing the hike(hahah AWESOME) where? Alan? I am going to do the hike in March!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.