Backbone, 10/12/07

Home Private: Forums Maryland-Backbone Mountain Backbone, 10/12/07

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: MalibuBill on October 26 2007 at 7:22 PM]

We headed here after driving from Annapolis to Spruce Knob. Threatening but clearing weather was present throughout the day. We missed the trail head and drove by the first time, but realized our mistake in about a mile. We had the pleasure of following an erratic driver with an I Love Mountains bumper sticker for about 20 miles before that. Seems that use of turn outs is not part of his love. This was also pretty country of the type not seen often along the Pacific, at least not until one heads to Big Sur.

We finally parked when we spotted what turned out to be the road. Only then did we see the white sign with the black printing indicating that it was the trailhead. The sign hangs from a tree. Route finding on the old road is aided by a very large number of painted markers and ducks. It was pretty damp and drippy, making the footing slightly slippery where the fall leaves lay wet upon wet slick rocks. The turn to the left is marked by a duck that is close to two feet high. We visited that state line marker and then on to the highpoint. There is a clearing in the trees that provided a limited view back into Maryland. We then descended back into WV and headed for PA. My 9th, my wife’s 8th.

Loyalty to the country always – loyalty to the government when it deserves it
      ——— Mark Twain

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.