Backbone Mountain, 18 July 2002

Home Private: Forums Maryland-Backbone Mountain Backbone Mountain, 18 July 2002

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Mark Stauter on September 12 2002 at 1:49 PM]

In July 2002 I was on a vacation trip to northeastern ballparks, so I decided to bag a couple of state high points while I was on the road.

I had spent the previous night at Frostburg, Md., a nice city with a state college campus attached. The drive down via MD-36, MD-135, and US-219 was very pleasant. The morning was not yet hot, but it was very humid. I made a brief stop at the nearby “smallest church” and “smallest postal facility,” both of which were unstaffed and sold postcards on the honor system.

I found the trailhead easily on US-219 in West Virginia, and set out around 9:20a. I wore long Levi’s in case I encountered any copperheads, but the only wildlife I saw were squirrels, chipmunks, and lots of bugs. Don’t YOU forget your insect repellant! The trail is well-enough marked and pretty much intuitive. It is worth taking the very short detour to see the state-line monument, just before you reach the Maryland high point. Allowing for a couple of brief rests I reached the summit before 10:00a EDT, where I signed the register and took a couple of snapshots.

I can’t say that I encountered any problems, and I certainly met no other hikers. There would have been a view from the top, but the high humidity made the atmosphere very hazy. The trip down took about 25 minutes. Then it was on to Mount Davis.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.