Black Mountain, KY March 22, 2008

Home Private: Forums Kentucky-Black Mountain Black Mountain, KY March 22, 2008

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Kevin Mikolajczak on April 10 2008 at 4:12 PM]

Out of the nine high points we have done so far, this was our least favorite and most scary!. We approached the high point from the Virginia side because we did Mt Rogers earlier in the day. The road up was very steep and full of twists and turns. As you get closer to the top you can look back down and see the effects mining has had on the mountain. It’s sad.

As we crested the mountain we looked to our left to see the FAA sign and dirt road as described in “Highpoint Adventures” by Charlie and Diane Winger, my highpoit bible. We headed past the gate up the narrow road to the summit. I was afraid of this road because I have a Honda Civic that sits very low to the ground and there were a few deep potholes. Needless to say I took it very slow because the last thing I wanted to do was blow out a tire so far away from help!

We parked just beyond the FAA radar site where the paved road surface ends. From here we walked a short distance up a dirt road to the summit. The summit is just plain ugly and very unimpressive! There was trash and broken bottles scattered everywhere. As we were taking pictures under the firetower, we heard a radio playing music in the cinderblock building behind us. Now I know for a fact that we did not pass any cars on the way up nor did we see any other cars parked at the summit, so I knew we were alone. At this point the kids and I got REALLY creeped out because we didn’t know if there was anyone in there or not! To be truthful I didn’t want to find out either. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”.

We quickly walked closer to the woods to search for the true highpoint, took our pictures, and got the heck out of there. I’m telling you, my kids were really scared. Again I had to drive down slowly because of the condition of the road. When we got back down to the FAA sign, we took our pictures near the bullet riddled “Welcome to Kentucky” sign. FYI, this was my first time back to Kentucky since I left Army basic training at Fort Konx in 1994. We made a left onto Routh 160 and headed into Lynch, KY, glad that this highpoint was behind us.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.