Ebright Azimuth 10-18-03

Home Private: Forums Delaware-Ebright Azimuth Ebright Azimuth 10-18-03

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jerry Bresnahan on March 13 2004 at 6:37 PM]

I scrambled to the summit of Ebright Azimuth, the Highpoint of Delaware at 448 feet, on Saturday afternoon, October 18th, 2003. It was my 12th state highpoint.

I stopped at Ebright Azimuth with my 88 year old Father while enroute from his house in Kenilworth, NJ to Virginia Beach, VA. It was a clear day and 55 degrees. We arrived at 3:30PM after taking much longer to find it than I expected. I entered Delaware after crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge southbound from New Jersey. I was somewhat familiar with this area after having crossed this bridge probably well over 100 times. I grew up in NJ and was stationed in various places along the east coast while in the Marines back in the 60’s. I drove home on leave and on weekends many times during that period and in more recent years I have frequently driven back and forth between visiting my Uncle in Maryland and my parents in NJ. I thought that I would find Exit 8 as I continued south on I –95 but soon realized that I had to turn around and go back north into downtown Wilmington. What I thought would be a 10-minute side trip took over an hour. There was road construction on I-95 and SR 202 was very congested due to endless shopping malls. My Father was a bit confused as to what I was doing. I told him I had to make a stop to climb a mountain. When we arrived at Ebright Azimuth I told him he had made it to the top of the highest point in Delaware. His response was, “Why would anyone want to?” Although this was a nice neighborhood, if all highpoints were this boring and in such congested areas I would be inclined to agree with him.

We continued south on US 13 and across the fabulous Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel. This was the first time I had driven across that bridge in over 35 years. For a period back in the 60’s, when I was stationed on Navy ships in Norfolk, I crossed it almost every weekend when we were in port. My Dad and I arrived at our timeshare condo in Virginia Beach well after dark. The weather was unseasonably warm for most of the week. We spent the week reading books and relaxing. I also enjoyed working out in the excellent fitness center and jogging on the beach everyday and watching the World Series with my Dad. October is an excellent time to visit Virginia Beach, especially when the temperatures are in the 70’s. There were no crowds like there are in the summer and no lines at the restaurants or any of the tourist attractions in the area.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.