June 2006 Trip to Utah’s lowest point – Lynn Arave on Jun 7, 2006, 11:50 AM

Home Private: Forums Lowpoint Discussions Utah-Beaver Dam Wash June 2006 Trip to Utah’s lowest point – Lynn Arave on Jun 7, 2006, 11:50 AM

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant

[Ed: This was imported from America’s Roof Forum – http://www.network54.com/Forum/215753/message/1149695443/June+2006+Trip+to+Utah%3Bs+lowest+point

Myself and 2 others visited Utah’s lowest point on June 6, 2006, in 100 degree temperatures — despite it being about 9:30 a.m. However. none of the elevations I’ve seen posted — including here — are anywhere near accurate. There’s a fence line (barb wire) that actually marks the line pretty closely.The lowest reading we could get in the half dozen subsections of that wash was 2,154 feet above sea level. (The GPS kept varying its reading, as if satellites wobble or something.) Anyway, 2,174 was the highest it went and so and 2164 feet. (In contrast, this site lists 2,000 feet and most State of Utah official tourist listings say 2350.)

Very hot in this area. I would not recommend a May though September visit — unless you are prepared to withstand heat, as I bet this is also Utah’s HOTTEST usual place.

You also need ATVs or a 4-wheel drive to visit here. No way cars can make this, as there are dips, loose sand and some rocks.

Directions to Utah’s lowest point:

1. Take the paved highway that goes north out of Littlefield/Beaver Dam (the only road through here in pre-I-15 days) and go about 0.8 of a mile past the Utah-Arizona line.
      2. Turn left (west) in a dirt road that goes southwest (and that may have a sign post with no writing at its head).
      3. The road turns due west in about 1/4 mile and if you spot a few “Mormon Pioneer Trail” signs off to the side, then you are on the correct road.
      4. Stay on this road for just short of 5 miles until the road descends into the Beaver Dam wash itself.
      5. Probably park on the east side of the first water flowing, if it’s there, as it is very loose material and sand here.
      6. If you see huge electric power lines a hundred feet north, then you are in the right place. (These power lines make great reference points for getting back.)
      7. Walk due north and pick your trail. The Beaver Dam Wash is very wide and there are lots of trees and brush to negotiated through and around. Lots of cows may be in this range area too. There may also be swampy areas and small sections of stream to cross. Be sure to take plenty of water, as this place is 400 feet lower than St. George and likely 2 degrees or so hotter. Generally stay on the east side of the wide Beaver Dam wash, as that’s where the lowest spot will be.
      8. It’s about a 2-mile walk through sandy, gravel and brush, depending on your route.
      9. When you reach a barb wire fence and a GPS says 37, you’re there.
      10. Cross the fence from Arizona and you are in Utah.
      11. We found one of the east side dips (washes) to read the lowest.
      12. Wisely try to re-trace your steps as closely as possible or you may be bushwasking your way back. We did that, because we got curious where the stream went — apparently underground in places near the lowest point.
      13. Coming back, the power lines will tell you how close you are to your vehicle.

There seems to be no better access from the north and if you try coming from there, you will still likely end up walking 2-3 miles on-way also. It’s the dirt roads the pebetrate the Beaver Dam Wash that determine where you hike from. ATVs would make it a cake walk, though and we did see some of their tracks, though they didn’t exist near the lowest point. Must be ranchers or others who use them.
      e-mail me at lynn@desnews.com, if you have any questions/comments.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.