Kings Peak attempt 9/3/2004

Home Private: Forums Utah-Kings Peak Kings Peak attempt 9/3/2004

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Ray Wolfe on September 8 2004 at 12:11 PM]

Arrived at trailhead Saturday, greeted by afternoon temperature of 34 F, rain and snow. No hike that day. Weather report said Sunday would be clear, went to a motel for a 4 AM start. Did the 6 miles to Elkhorn Crossing in 3.5 hours by flashlight and moonlight, sky totally clear, going good. At Elkhorn crossing, the log bridge was gone! Rocks slippery, temperature in 30s, not up to a barefoot crossing, gave it up.

The bridge is gone – another post shows it there early July – disappeared in the last two months.

highpointersclub
      Participant

Bridge is there

[By: Jim on September 13 2004 at 4:56 PM]

The bridge was there on Setp. 10. There are two crossings: one for horses (with no bridge) and one for (human) foot traffic (with a bridge). To find the bridge you have to backtrack downstream a ways.
      highpointersclub
      Participant

Bridge is further North from Elkhorn crossing..

[By: Ben Knorr on October 8 2004 at 4:13 PM]

The first time I did Kings Peak, I also thought that Elkhorn crossing was where we should go. Since so many pack animals use the Henrys Fork trail, they have people use Elkhorn crossing since horses on a footbridge might be dangerous.

Last year near the end of October, the bridge was in somewhat poor shape, with something like two logs still holding together, and a third log a foot or two away.

This year (Sept. 17, 2004), the bridge had been renovated with more logs. This time, it had at least five logs across. Very luxurious! There is a sign in the middle of the Henrys Fork trail before you hit Elkhorn crossing. If you are looking down at the rocks (if it is dark, it is easy to miss so watch it!), you may not see it. I’ve also seen people crowded around the sign, blocking its view a few times as well. Anyway, from the sign, turn left and watch for a path that leads in the opposite direction of the trail up to that point. It will head downhill towards the footbridge.

I also noticed that somebody has placed small reflective dots on the trees that head down towards the bridge, should you do this at night with headlamps.

I believe the footbridge is approximately 6 miles from the Henrys Fork TH, and at least a hundred feet or so before Elkhorn crossing.

-ben

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.