lived in florida from july 1985 to september 1998 been here in nov. 1993

Home Private: Forums Florida-Britton Hill lived in florida from july 1985 to september 1998 been here in nov. 1993

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: frank oropal on August 27 2002 at 2:32 AM]

hi y’all , I now live back north in connecticut where we have many hills and a supposedly beautiful high point that so far I have not been to; but has public access. but for the 13 years that I lived down south in the otherwise flat to rolling at most state of FLORIDA in southwest orange county[ ” orlando”] , having come from connecticut previously, I missed the hills and fall colors the most! anyway, one year I drove all the way north and west on both I-75 and I – 10 for 7-1/2 hours from orlando, got off at crestview, fla. and ended up in lakewood, fla. curious on what this highest hill was like. it had a view to the east of cotton fields but not too far of one, maybe at most 10 miles. but, being in mid november around veteran’s day weekend, the change of color in both the red oaks, beeches,hickories, and maples did remind me of the fall foliage back in connecticut and new york. it was the best color south of say north carolina or atlanta GA areas! ; and I did not realize that FLORIDA HAD AUTUMN COLORS WHICH WERE THAT BRIGHT ! but while I am at it, florida flatlanders like me who are often former “yankees” who dislike the beach scene; here are two other florida hilltops of note.#1. the second highest hill on the entire florida peninsula[ south of the panhandle and tallahassee] check out sugarloaf mountain elevation 316 feet , just north of clermont and montverde in lake county, fla. ask any area bicyclist about this honey of a hill, they probally will know it well! it is located on sugarloaf mountain road just off of CR 561 and CR 561A . to get here, take US 27 north from clermont[ FL] and turn right onto CR 561. go north on CR 561, just past junction of CR 561A and about 1/2 mile north is SUGARLOAF MTN RD ON THE RIGHT. go right and you will climb about 0.62 miles of one of the steepest hills in florida. the adjoining properties are private and developed with executive country homes; but from the road on top[ elevation 312 ft. ] you will be able to see all of downtown orlando’s skyline; 20 mile view to the southwest[ right] and all of lake apopka. good place to watch the space shuttle from 50 mile inland as well ! also check out BOK TOWER GARDENS IN LAKE WALES, FLORIDA. it is a private nature preserve just off of US route 27 and there is like a $5 admission charge. here lies IRON MOUNTAIN, ELEVATION 325 FEET, just a short easy hike uphill about a half mile and has a 10 mile view from the trail behind the carillion tower[ bell tower] well for all you former yankees looking for hills in FLORIDA, all that I can say is enjoy the views.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.