Looking for Boundary Peak details

Home Private: Forums Nevada-Boundary Peak Looking for Boundary Peak details

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jack on June 14 2005 at 3:49 PM]

I’m planning a trip to Boundary Peak in early Sept 05.
      We have the Winger book & Holmes 1990 (?) ed.
      We will probably be travelling in a 2WD Toyota Tundra.

Question:
      1) How much water do folks take for the hike? We like to take a little more than we expect to use. 3 quarts / person? 4 Qts? more?

2) When we get to the trailhead, is there any way to really really confirm that we are that trailhead? I’m afraid of taking a wrong turn and ending up at the end of the wrong gravel road. Is there a sign, spot-a-pot, or something unique at that trailhead.

3) Is it reasonable to start the hike before dawn if we have good flashlights & headlamps and we scout out the first 200 yrds the day before? I want to get in practice for Whitney and we will need to start that one before dawn. Besides, I would like to hit the ridge by sunrise or so. I think the photos should be great at that time of day.

4) How long should the drive take from the highway to the trailhead?

BTW: We are planning the traditional trailhead, not the Queens Canyon TH.

highpointersclub
      Participant

Boundary details

[By: adam on July 6 2005 at 3:51 PM]

I just did Boundary over the July 4th weekend.

> We will probably be travelling in a 2WD Toyota Tundra.

Should be fine. I’d say high clearence is almost required, 4WD isn’t. Most of the road is well graded, but a few spots are ditched enought that I’d worry about bottoming out a passenger car.

> 1) How much water do folks take for the hike? We like to take a little more than we expect to use. 3 quarts / person? 4 Qts? more?

I took 4 qts (I hate running out of water) and used about 2. I also started pretty early so did all the valley walking before sunrise.

> 2) When we get to the trailhead, is there any way to really really confirm that we are that trailhead? I’m afraid of taking a wrong turn and ending up at the end of the wrong gravel road. Is there a sign, spot-a-pot, or something unique at that trailhead.

There’s a Boundary Peak sign at the trailhead. I’ve got a photo on my website at:

http://mcfarren.info/adam/outdoor/highpoints/nv/nv-Pages/Image1.html

> 3) Is it reasonable to start the hike before dawn if we have good flashlights & headlamps and we scout out the first 200 yrds the day before?

Definitely. I had just flown and driven from 800ft to the trailhead, so I wasn’t sleeping very well and decided to quit pretending to sleep and started hiking around 4am.

> 4) How long should the drive take from the highway to the trailhead?

About 40 minutes.

My whole trip report is at:
      http://mcfarren.info/adam/outdoor/highpoints/nv.shtml

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-adam

highpointersclub
        Participant

Mules Ear

[By: Shelley on July 21 2005 at 3:25 PM]

Great trip report! I did Boundary last year during the 4th of July weekend. There wasn’t nearly as much snow up there last year. Your “leafy greens” are called Mules Ear. Evidently they make spectacular flowers, too. I think they’re pretty enough just w/ their greens!
        Glad you had a great trip. I just returned from Whitney: http://shelleypotts.com/AboutMe/HighPoints/CA.php

Enjoy,
        -Shelley

Shelley Potts
        spotty4@hotmail.com
        http://shelleypotts.com

highpointersclub
          Participant

Mules Ear

[By: -adam on July 21 2005 at 5:23 PM]

Thanks for ID’ing the Mules Ears for me. Some 12 years ago they were pointed
          out to me as making excellent TP on a multi-week Outward Bound course in Colorado. But I didn’t remember what they were called.

Looks like you had great conditions on Whitney. Hope to attempt that one in a few years.

You’ve got a great website, too bad we never meet while you were up at Indiana U’s rival.

-adam (IU grad and current staff member)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.