Mount Arvon (01 October 2010)

Home Private: Forums Michigan-Mount Arvon Mount Arvon (01 October 2010)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Mark Stauter on October 4 2010 at 10:10 PM]

I visited Mount Arvon on Friday morning, 01 October 2010. I used the directions and map downloaded from baragacountytourism dot org, and found them to be both accurate and necessary. Despite recent rains the roads were in good condition, until the "Mount Arvon spur" left a good road around three-fourths of a mile from the parking area. An egregious mud-hole looked a little too deep for my Toyota coupe, so I let discretion be the better part of valor and I parked the chariot and hiked from there to the parking area, and then the additional half-mile to the summit. Since it was a beautiful clear and cool morning, that only added to the enjoyment.

There is no real climb to the summit, just a nice uphill walk. The summit area includes an attractive sign (suitable for standing next to for snapshots), a container that includes a registration tablet, and a picnic table. There’s no view right at the summit, but one is available just a short distance away.

We encountered no one else at the summit, but on the walk down a couple of hunters in a high-clearance 4-wd vehicle were heading uphill. Maybe they bagged the turkeys we heard near the summit area. There was some logging activity on the road from Roland Lake, but there was plenty of room for safe passage. There are blue signs directing highpointers to Mount Arvon, but maybe not enough of them to find the highpoint without good directions and a map. The map is handy for the return trip, as well. Figure at least an hour’s round trip from L’Anse to bag this highpoint.

Early fall is a good time to visit Mount Arvon. The colors are beautiful, the bugs are suppressed, and the legendary snows have not yet arrived.

This was state highpoint #29 for me.

Mark Stauter
      Rolla (Mo.)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.