Mount Davis, 18 July 2002

Home Private: Forums Pennsylvania-Mount Davis Mount Davis, 18 July 2002

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Mark Stauter on September 12 2002 at 2:09 PM]

After spending the previous night in Frostburg, Md., I had “conquered” Backbone Mountain in Maryland earlier on the morning of 18 July 2002. Having made excellent time, I decided to bag Mount Davis in Pennsylvania before heading on to Pittsburgh.

I entered Pennsylvania on MD-669 from Grantsville, Md., on the National Road (old US-40). There probably is a shorter direct route, but I had only a state highway map, so I continued on PA-669 to West Salisbury. From there I don’t recall that the proper road is marked very well, if at all, but I found it to be the intuitive choice. After driving westbound a few miles you will see the large highway deparment sign announcing you are at Mount Davis, the highest point in Pennsylvania. However, to actually get to the true high point you must continue a little further and turn left on a narrow but black-topped road. Take this a mile or two to the high point parking area. Mount Davis is in a state forest or conservation area, so there is no problem with access.

The place was nearly deserted on a summer Thursday morning. The only vehicle in the lot was a state maintenance truck. The only people I saw there were the state worker and another guy who looked very scruffy. Maybe he was a community-service convict.

From the parking lot it is a very short walk to the summit. There is a metal tower at the high point which affords a nice view above the treetops. And right nearby are a set of markers which expound upon the geology and natural history of the site. They are well worth reading.

The parking lot can hold a lot of cars, and has slots for buses, so I guess I caught the site on a very slow day.

Then it was on to Pittsburgh and PNC Park.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.