Mount Greylock

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Joseph M Comerford on April 30 2006 at 10:32 AM]

I lived in Washington, Massachusetts until 1946 we moved to Cambridge Mass. where I lived at the present time.

As a young boy I have watched the Beacon on Mount Greylock many a night from my bedroom in my grandmother’s house never knowing what it stood for until a year ago.

I always thought that the Beacon has something to do with the aircraft. in the daytime once in awhile a B-17 would fly over my grandmother’s house at a low altitude we can see the pilot, we would waive to them they would waive back. From our home a near railroad depot we could see the Pan-American flying boats go by on a daily basis in the afternoon.

Best wishes to all Regards J. Comerford

highpointersclub
      Participant

Mt. Greylock Roads CLOSED for 2 YEARS

[Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Anonymous on September 4 2007 at 11:27 PM]

My family and I were very surprised and disappointed to find the summit roads leading to Mt. Greylock closed until approximately June 2009. This approximation was given by the parks department when called. I think the funniest part is that there are 2 different phone numbers listed for information…on the same sign. Oh well, we look forward to driving up when we can.

I believe the whole sight is closed because of the construction. I am not positive but the information person seemed to say that all access is closed for 2 years. If this is not true please post.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.