Mount Sunflower (11 March 2007)

Home Private: Forums Kansas-Mount Sunflower Mount Sunflower (11 March 2007)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Mark Stauter on March 15 2007 at 12:17 PM]

After summiting Black Mesa on Sunday morning, 11 March 2007, I headed for Mount Sunflower via Boise City, Okla., Elkhart, Kan., and highway KS-27 north. At Sharon Springs I took US-40 west to Weskan and then a county road northbound. By dead reckoning I eventually found Mount Sunflower around 5:00p MDT, the route to which appears to be better signed for southbound traffic from I-70 than for northbound traffic from US-40.

As for the “summit,” there is not much to report other than I shared the delight of most visitors at the lighthearted quirkiness of the monument and its wrought-iron decorations. This was my 24th state highpoint. There is a register to sign which includes information about the site and the Highpointers Club.

My only caveat is to be wary of driving the dirt-surfaced county roads in the area (and particularly the more direct route north to I-70 along the Colorado border) after a heavy rain, as they quickly become a sea of thick mud. I was lucky to get through in my front-wheel drive Toyota Solara with positraction transaxle. The Comfort Inn in Goodland is a nice place to stay.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.