Mt. Davis, August 10, 2009

Home Private: Forums Pennsylvania-Mount Davis Mt. Davis, August 10, 2009

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: KYBob on September 3 2009 at 12:15 AM]

What a pretty and interesting drive from Blackbone Mountain to Mt. Davis. Although the wind turbines took away from the natural beauty of the landscape. I saw them as a thing of beauty for the future of our country.

Although over developed, driving through the Deep Creek Lake area was a nice drive. One of the nicest parts of our trip to Mt. Davis was our lunch stop at a nice little diner in Salisbury, Pennsylvania. It is on the main drag, near the town’s stoplight. They serve up hot dogs in a way that was alien to my frend and I. They were deep fried, cut in thirds, and served on a hamburger bun. I had a BLT, my friend suggested I try the hot dogs if I’m ever in the area again.

As we were driving along the road, we came upon a vandalized sign the said Mt. Davis, Highest Point in Pennsylvania, 3,713 Feet. There is a pull off across the road from the sign so we pulled in. The sign leads one to think that this spot is the highpoint. One car pulled in, took a picture of the sign, and drove off.

We had to drive up and down the road a couple of times before we found the forest service road that led to the highpoint parking area. We were confused because the direction I had were for traveling from the north, we were coming from the south.

It was starting to thunder and lightning, so our stay was brief. When we were ther, a couple drove up to the parking area, climbed the observation tower, kissed, came down and drove away.

I was impressed that people were constantly coming and going from the highpoints we visited on this trip.

Number 5 for me, and number 3 for my friend.

I really enjoyed my first highpointing road trip. My wife and I are going to take a day and visit Indiana’s high point over the holiday weekend coming up.

KYBob

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.