Mt Rogers July 02

Home Private: Forums Virginia-Mt. Rogers Mt Rogers July 02

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: The Cole Family on August 14 2002 at 3:43 PM]

I must admit I wasn’t expecting the trek we encountered. This was the first high point my family and I would complete of a 5 day 5 highpoint trip (we completed 6 in 2 weeks). This was also the first highpoint my family would be completing, mine was Mt Rainier Aug 18 2001. Growing up in Seattle who wouldn’t want to climb Mt Rainier and see the view from the other direction.
      Mt Rogers was a long hike for my wife and 7 yo son. The views to the top were great, it was a clear cool day. The park and trail were clean. We used Charle and Diane Winger’s book it was very accurate but I don’t think I agree with his route choice. You can take the rhodedenron trail all the way to the AT. This trail bypasses the extremely rocky trail he chose. The “RT” is a little damp but a much shorter trail to the same point. My wife is not a hiker and she was visibly disappointed by the summit view or I should say lack of view. I am trying to talk my sons into making the summit of Mt Rogers a “Eagle Scout” Project. The wild ponies and the picture of our boys with the wild ponies did take some of my wife discomfort away but it was a long trek for a summit without a view. Send me an email if you would like to hear about this summit and the others we visited. This was the best trip our family has had and we hope to bag our 7, 8, 9 and 10th highpoints at the end of Sept. Jeff Cole
      highpointersclub
      Participant

Whitetop mountain

[By: Susan on June 15 2004 at 3:10 PM]

I agree that the RT is a better way to reach the AT (and Mt. Rogers). Although several trails lead to Mt. Rogers, the RT is easily accessed at Massie Gap in the Grayson Highlands State Park & provides a more level & open path to the AT. The wild ponies abound – some will approach you if you kneel down and wait patiently. After hiking up to the first crest of the RT, you come to a crossroads – it is at this point that the hiker can choose to hike the AT southbound to Mt. Rogers or use the RT. The RT continues on & connects with other trails as well. It should be mentioned that you leave Grayson Highlands State Park and enter into wilderness area – trails are not as well marked in this section (except the AT – white blazes as always).
        highpointersclub
        Participant

Oops, I forgot

[By: Susan on June 15 2004 at 3:16 PM]

I forgot to mention the original reason for posting this reply – Whitetop Mountain. It is Virginia’s second highest peak and located only about a mile from Mt. Rogers. Whitetop’s crest is a bald and provides stunning views on clear days – 50 miles or more into the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. It is a side trip that might be worth the effort (especially if the forest covered Mt. Rogers view was disappointing).
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.