Mt. Whitney Trip for August 2007

Home Private: Forums California-Mount Whitney Mt. Whitney Trip for August 2007

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Alan Smith on July 13 2009 at 6:47 PM]

This is a short description of my guided climb with Mr. Chris Simmons of Sierra Mountain Center in Bishop, California, via the Mountaineer’s Route from August 13, 2007, through August 15, 2007. If you are looking for the best guide and tired of being subjected to the Mt. Whitney Trail Lottery System, this is the best option for you.

Day 1 begins at the Trailhead of the Mt. Whitney Trail about 7:30 A.M. and embarks on the Mt. Whitney Trail for only about 3/8 of a mile before leaving the trail at the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek to follow the Mountaineer’s Route. The beginning of the Mountaineer’s Route travels through trees, bushes, willows, and crosses the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek numerous times before arriving at the Ebersbacher Ledges. This is a very narrow trail that traverses up the rock face with only a couple of short Class III moves. After the ledges, the trail continues upward through trees and bushes before arriving at Lower Boyscout Lake; this is where you will see the first glimpse of Mt. Whitney. After Lower Boyscout, it is another one mile and one thousand vertical feet of hiking through boulders and up a rock slab that parallels the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek to reach Upper Boyscout Lake. I consider myself a slow climber, and this day took five hours.

Day 2 begins about one hour prior to sunrise to ascend the surrounding foothills to reach Iceberg Lake. After Iceberg Lake, climb the chute to the right of Mt. Whitney that requires numerous Class III moves. After reaching the top of the chute, it is time to rope up for safety requiring Class III and Class IV moves and ascend the North Face of Mt. Whitney to reach the summit. The time for this day was four hours to the summit, fifteen minutes on the summit, and three hours forty-five minutes to descend for a total day of eight hours.

Day 3 is the descent day via the same route described in the Day 1 paragraph. It is best to start early before the heat of the day especially in August. The descent took me about four hours and thirty minutes.

I want to convey my sincerest appreciation and highest recommendation for the services of Mr. Chris Simmons of Sierra Mountain Center. He has the highest enthusiasm for his work, dedication to safety, and is willing to teach better climbing techniques and facts about the local environment. Mr. Chris Simmons has had a very successful record of reaching the summit and returning over the last five years since the date of my climb; give him a call when you are ready to climb Mt. Whitney.

Clair Kreines
      Participant

It is interesting to read your blog post and I am going to share it with my friends.

Herbew Fentos

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.