Sept 25, 2006 – #37

Home Private: Forums Arizona-Humphreys Peak Sept 25, 2006 – #37

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Hojo on September 29 2006 at 12:54 PM]

As said in recent postings by others – the last week of September was a great time to hike Humphreys The morning was cool – we were at the trailhead at 6am (was not dark) It was another two and a half hours before the sun actually shined upon us. Further up the aspen were losing their leaves and were sprinkled all along the trail.

We arrived at the highpoint around 10:55am – the last hour of it was spent hiking between the saddle and the hp. We dubbed that part the trail of discouragement. Shortly before reaching the saddle we chatted up with a fellow hiker “Ray” After the saddle, Ray moved on further ahead of us. Sometimes it takes seeing people further ahead of you doing the trail that makes you want to keep going. When he did his v for victory pose at the summit, that gave me the pep to follow suit and were there before we knew it. Coming back down we kept looking back at where we were and just kept wondering how on earth did we just do that.

We didn’t see the benchmarker for Humphreys. Also, the sign that says Humphreys Peak that we’ve seen in many pics is not there anymore.

After leaving the saddle, it got murderous on our big toes. My personal opinion – coming down was worse than going up. My breathing too was more laborous coming down and was the same when we got back into town. Got back to the trailhead at 2:25pm.

Number 37 highpoint for us

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.