Solo Winter Assent

Home Private: Forums Arizona-Humphreys Peak Solo Winter Assent

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Eric Ebele on February 12 2005 at 3:20 PM]

On, Feb 10th 2005 (one week after my 29th Birthday) I Taged my second winter solo state sumit Humphreys Peak. Humphreys was my first state sumit last year on July 26th. This time around was much more challenging and was my first time climbing on snow and ice. This trip could not have gone better. The weather was perfect, it had not snown for a few days and it was not windy at all and the temp at 430am was around 30F. I drove up from Phoenix the night before after renting an ice ax from the AZ hiking shack. I had my own boots, and gaiters and crampons (I.C.E.9’s) I did not think I would need snow shoes so I passed on renting them in PHX. When I got to Flag I missed my turn for my hotel and as luck would have it the parking lot I turned around in was a climbing and outdoors store so I stopped in to ask about the conditions on the sumit and again luck struck, another customer in the store had been up there that morning and said I would need snow shoes, so I rented a pair right there. At 430 on the 10th I parked at the snowbowl lot and started up the ski slopes till I was at about 11,000 feet then started through the trees to the ridge line and fallowed that to the sumit then stayed in the trees on the way down to about 9500 feet. It took me about 10 hours from car to sumit to car. For pics or any other info you can Email me at Fitnesstrnr@hotmail.com

“Reaching the sumit is optional,getting back down isn’t” – Ed Viesturs

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.