Home Private: Forums New York-Mount Marcy Some advice

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: MIchael Lee on March 19 2006 at 12:21 PM]

Hello all!

Just got into HP’ing, have only done 3 so far, but I am planning on going to Mt. Marcy and MT. Frissell this summer. However, I have a Border Collie who I just hate to leave behind. Can Mt. Marcy be done as a day trip by a very fit Border Collie? For reference, I would not take him to Mt. Mansfield as the last section there is a little bit of scrambling, and have not been able to take him on some gorge hikes in the southern Finger Lakes because of the climbing, either. Aside from the physical, there is also the legal and decorum issues to keep in mind.

If it can’t/shouldn’t be done, are there any decent day kennels in the area? TIA for the help.

Mike

highpointersclub
      Participant

Re: Some advice

[By: Julia on March 20 2006 at 4:35 PM]

What route did you take up Mt. Mansfield? I don’t remember much scrambling, but I know there are harder routes that do have some scrambling. In any case, I think the scrambling at the top of Mt. Marcy, though not at all strenuous or technical, is at least as difficult as Mansfield. If your dog wouldn’t be able to do Mansfield, I wouldn’t take him/her on Marcy.
        highpointersclub
        Participant

Thank you!

[By: Michael Lee on March 20 2006 at 5:56 PM]

That was exactly what I needed to hear, and it helps me make my decision.

I wound up taking the Long Trail up Mansfield from the Route 153(?) trailhead. As I remember, it was 2800′ vertical over 2.6 miles. The very top required nothing technical, just pulling yourself up short ledges – the exact thing I couldn’t take my dog on.

Anyone want o babysit a very personable (but hates dogs) Border Collie for a day in June?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.