Spruce Knob, WV and Mount Davis, PA

Home Private: Forums Pennsylvania-Mount Davis Spruce Knob, WV and Mount Davis, PA

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Daniel E. Dobish on September 29 2004 at 10:50 PM]

I had never heard of ‘highpointing’ until reading about it in my Backpacker magazine. In 2004, they are featuring each of the 50 states’ highest points in four different issues. After bagging Clingman’s Dome and Brasstown Bald in May, I decided to encourage my friend’s to try. Spruce Knob and Mount Davis were easy, as you simply need to drive up. I was hoping on the way to whitewater rafting on the Gauley River, that we could take a roundabout way and check out some great panoramas. Unfortunately, we travelled on September 17, which saw the remnants of Hurricane Ivan passing through. Ivan had slammed into the panhandle of Florida earlier in the week and brought torrential rains and flooding up and down the Appalachian chain. While it was not a good time for views atop the mountain, the Gauley was running at least four to five feet about normal, so it was not a total loss.

Next stop, high points in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi and perhaps Missouri. I also plan a day trip to get Ohio and Indiana out of the way when I visit family for Thanksgiving. I’ve already visited Mount Washington once. So if I can get 13 in one year’s time, that seems like a decent start for a novice.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.