Stormy Hike

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Shawn on July 23 2007 at 11:36 PM]

Four Northern Arizona University friends started the hike on a cloudy day around 10:30am. As we hiked we experienced light showers and dark looking clouds around us. We heard thunder but there was no lightening anywhere. One of my friends fell back and retreated leaving three of us. As we approached the saddle near the last two miles the skies cleared up a bit. My two friends fell behind and I was left. From other hikers I found out that a 75 year old man was going alone to the top. I decided to make sure he was okay and went alone to the top. As I approached one of many false summits clouds rolled in and mist led to me seeing only 40 feet in front of me. Thunder but no lightening was apparent as well. Kinda scared I went on, and on and on losing the trail every now and then. This was a big problem and scary. Then it started to rain and then I ran into the old man who was barely moving. We huddled beside a big rock for protection and I started to shiver and get really cold not having a rain jacket but only a garbage bag to wear. It helped a little but it started to hail and it got nasty. We waited a while amid the thunderous roars and then went on on the rain. We were too close to stop now. After reaching the summit I knew I had to keep moving or I’d cramp up. I lost my way two times and fell on the slick rocks, I just climped back up to the top and tried to follow the trail again. On my way down from the summits I ran into a squad of four guys who questions about lightening and how far. I felt better now that they will meet the old man up a the top. I stumbled in the rain without stopping all the way to the parking lot. I was sore, beat up and exhausted. For the first time hiking this trail of this magnitude I should’ve had a companion as I was in real danger of becoming lost. The good thing is that cell phones do work up there if you can believe that.
      Shawn
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.