Timm’s Hill 11-19-03

Home Private: Forums Wisconsin-Timms Hill Timm’s Hill 11-19-03

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jerry Bresnahan on March 13 2004 at 7:09 PM]

I walked to the pinnacle of Timm’s Hill, the Highpoint of Wisconsin at 1951 feet, on Wednesday afternoon, November 19th, 2003. It was my 18th state highpoint.

I drove from Eagle River, WI, where I was staying for a week, and arrived at Timm’s Hill at 12:45PM. It was a clear, sunny day and the temperature was 45 degrees. The gate to Timm’s Hill County Park was locked so I parked my car at the entrance and walked the rest of the way along the park roadway. There was a small tree across the roadway that probably fell during a storm the previous week, which brought high winds to the area. I don’t think this tree was why the park was closed. It could have easily been removed. My guess is that this park, like most other tourist attractions in the area, is closed from the first snowfall in October or November to sometime in the spring. The county doesn’t plow the snow in the park. I believe it’s usually cold enough to keep the roadway covered with snow from the first snowfall until late spring so they probably just lock the gate and keep it locked for the duration. The weather was unusually warm during the week I was in Wisconsin, which accounted for unexpected clear roads and trails. I enjoyed walking all alone along the roadway through this park very much. I also took some short side trips on a couple trails and climbed the wooden tower at the summit. The area was beautiful and it would be nice to have time to picnic by the pond near the trailhead parking area or perhaps spend a day or two hiking the alternate route along the Timm’s Hill National Trail as described in Don Holmes’ guidebook. However since it gets dark so early up in the North Woods in November and I had a couple hours drive back to my timeshare condo I decided to get going so I could enjoy the drive along some of the lesser-traveled county roads. I was fortunate to see a pair of bald eagles in a tree above a dear carcass on the side of one of the roads.

The forecast for the following day was sunny and close to a record 60 degrees. I had seriously considered leaving for Minnesota today and doing Eagle Mountain tomorrow to take advantage of the nice weather but I was enjoying my condo in Eagle River so much I didn’t want to miss one single night by the fireplace. I also enjoyed working out and jogging on the trails along the golf course, which was closed for the season. Sometimes I would jog past 10 to 15 deer. They seemed to know that hunting was not allowed on the golf course and a few let me get to within 20 yards before moving away. The condos at this resort were called “Treehouses” and were set off by themselves. There were not many people staying at the resort while I was there and I really enjoyed the quiet. It was too late in the season for boating and fishing and not enough snow for snowmobiling and skiing. I was told that the following week would be very busy because deer hunting season in Wisconsin started on Saturday, the day after I left. I think one of the best things about being in the North Woods in November is NO MOSQUITOS! I once thought I saw one during the abnormal warmth of the day but I didn’t get bit. My attitude toward all insects is live and let live, as long as they don’t bite me.

highpointersclub
      Participant

No Links Prior to 2000

[Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: roger on March 17 2004 at 12:11 PM]

We have no legacy links before 2000
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.