Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Sam on April 2 2006 at 11:00 PM]

A nice two-day hike in the park:

Sam and Libby 4/1-4/2

Started at the Sperry Road parking lot in late afternoon. Then hike Hopper Path to the Greylock Summit. Then on the AT where we hiked up to Mt. Williams. There we camped for the night. The next morning, on the AT until we joined the Money Brook trail to take us back to the lot. We returned by late morning.

There was still some snow and ice up near the summit. Unfortunatly, it was very cloudy and rainy and cold at the top, so we didn’t stay for long. But the hike was still nice. Some trails were very washed out as the rangers haven’t been able to catch up since the snow started melting.

It I did it again, I would take the Mt. Prospect trail instead of the Money Brook Trail back to the car, simply becaue it would have been a nicer lunch spot. I think the mileage would have been about the same. It is only for first four miles (from the start to the summit of Greylock) that are semi-strenuous. After that, it’s pretty mundane.

We knew that it did not matter where we camped, as it is still too early in the season for the campgrounds to be open or for the rangers to really care. Nobody passed even near our tent (as far as we know). But we didn’t even make a fire.

Overall a great trip (if a little cold)!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.