Upcoming Highpointer Events
- Slumdog Mountaineer Dog Rupee Only Visit Basecamp and Not Everest Summit
- Alabama Parks Celebrating 75th Anniversary: Cheaha was one of the first parks
- Road to Paradise To Be Open 7 Days A Week in 2013-14 Winter
- Carlton Australian Rules Football Team Plans Mass Winter Climb of Humphreys
- Maine Memorial Plans to Carry Stones To Katahdin Summit on Memorial Day 2014
- First Wintry Storm Temporarily Closes Mount Mitchell
- Oxford Scientist Say DNA Tests Show Yeti May Be Brown/Polar Bear Mix
- Government Shutdown Forces Cancellation of Black Bear Century Bicycle Ride to High Point State Park
- Ribbon Cutting at Renovated Mount Greylock Visitor Center
- Government Shutdown: Wag Bags at Whitney Portal But No Camping Permitted
- Teddy Roosevelt Was Climbing Marcy in Marcy in the Days After McKinley Was Shot But Before He Died
- Warm Springs Pow Wow on Mount Hood on Sepember 28
- Guadalupe Reopens Summit Trail Following Floods
- Guadalupe Closed Indefinitely Due to Flooding
- Official New USGS Maps Show McKinley is 83 Feet Shorter Than Earlier Reported (20,237 feet rather than 20,320 feet)
- Stubbs the Cat, Talkeetna’s “Mayor” Returns Following Dog Mauling
- Renaming of Talkeetna Ranger Station for First McKinley Climber Walter Harper
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy Film Festival on East Coast
- Repairs Begin on Harney Peak Tower
- Why They Put Up The Falling Rocks Signs
Tags2004 2nd Quarter 2004 4th Quarter 2005 1st Quarter 2005 Mount Washington 2006 Mount Mitchell 2007 Timms Hill 2009 High Point New Jersey 2010 Convention 2011 Convention 2012 Convention 2013 Convention About the Club Access Restrictions Aron Ralston Chairman Column Charity Climbs Completer stories Conventions Email Alerts Frank Ashley Awards General Highpointers Foundation Indiana Interviews Iowa Membership Member Updates Merc Minutes - Board Minutes - General Membership Mississippi New Jersey New Products Newsletter Obituaries Paul Zumwalt Award podcast Polls Rhode Island Silent Auction States Tennessee Video Videos Vin Hoeman
The new Britton Hill, Florida kiosk which was funded in part the Highpointers Foundation is now up.
The High Point Welcome Center sign has been put up in Kimball, Nebraska.
Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
The Highpointers Foundation is having a silent auction to sell the book “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer. The auction ends 4 p.m. MST, February 14, 2014.
The 2014 Highpointers Calendar is now available at the Merc.
The calendar which includes photos by members and highpointing events always quickly sell out.
The deadline for submitting photos for the 2014 calendar is May 15, 2014 (so the calendar can be sold at the 2014 convention). If you have questions contact Gerry Roach. (email@example.com)
David Covill got this note from Osceola County Economic Development Executive Director Kirk Grau requesting that visits to the highpoint be done in daylight hours since the house is rented and also noting that the new campground by the highpoint has opened and there is a fee for staying there.
Karin Harmon, executive director of “Friends of Kings Peak,” who received a 2013 Paul Zumwalt Award for work on the summit in Utah sent the following note thanking the club for the award as well as Highpoint Liaison Stony Burk for the trail junction sign at Henry’s Fork.
Thanks to an initiative mostly from highpoint liaison chairman Stony Burk the Club has begun saving historic registers. He just turned over the reigsters from Granite and Borah Peaks for safekeeping.
I think Granite needs a new canister since a summit creature has eaten into a corner and found the register to be pretty tasty.
The Club (thanks mostly to Stony’s efforts) keeps historic registers for Rhode Island, Connecticut, Indiana, Wisconsin, Idaho, Montana, Mississippi and Michigan.