The following is a curated list of links on various subjects including: Apps, General Information, Geocaching, Geology, Trip Reports and Weather. If you have suggestions for links to add, please contact us at email@example.com.
Apps – smartphone/tablets:
- Peakbagger [Android] [iOS] – Andrew Kirsme – This app was featured in a recent “Apex to Zenith” newsletter. It provides access to peakbagger, listofjohn and summitpost so you can record your summits, get driving/route directions, look at trip reports and much more.
- PeakPal [iOS] – Timothy Kelley – This handy camera app will compare peak heights and measure slope angles to an accuracy of 0.01°. A hi-tech alternative to using hand levels
- US State Highpoint Guide – Wikipedia – This wikipedia page lists the highpoints and lowpoints of the 50 US states.
- US State Highpoint List – Peakbagger – This peakbagger list provides links to individual peak pages which collect lots of resources like: maps, weather, trip reports, etc.
- US State Highpoint Guide – Summitpost – This summitpost page provides a brief description of the 50 summits along with links to individual pages which collect lots of resources like: red tape, approaches, climbing routes, trip reports, etc.
- Martin Classification of Difficulty for U.S. State Highpoints – Summitpost– This Summit Post article on Highpointing contains the Martin Classification. The difficulty of reaching the highpoint of each state is rated on a scale of 1 easy to 10 difficult. The scale of difficulty is based on reaching the highpoint by the easiest standard route under good conditions.
- What is Geocaching? [Wikipedia] [REI] – These two links will provide you an overview of what geocaching is. The REI link is perhaps more “user friendly” for people just hearing about this activity.
- geocaching.com – Started in 2000 this website (slightly commercialized) perhaps has the largest collection of caches. Free membership allows users access to coordinates, descriptions, and logs for some caches.
- opencaching.us – The North America affiliate of Opencaching provides open, non-commercial access to hundreds of caches.
- Highpoint Geology – This website tells the geologic stories behind each of the 50 US states. Content is being added periodically but it has summary information right now.
- Geology of the US highpoints – Peter Thompson @ UNH – The University of New Hampshire provides detailed geologic information about each of the 50 US highpoints.
- Geologic Maps of the 50 United States – ThoughtCo was written a nice article with maps on the geology of each state.
- Geology of the conterminous United States – The USGS updated the Geologic Map of the United States in 1974 and made it available online. It is the basis for the ThoughtCo article.
- American Alpine Club – A club whose goal is “a united community of competent climbers and healthy climbing landscapes.”
- US County Highpoint Trip Reports – cohp.org is dedicated to trip reports of county highpoints.
- US National Park Trip Reports – cohp.org also has a nice collection of trip reports related to the highpoints of the US National Parks.