Home Private: Forums Idaho-Borah Peak chicken out ridge appropriatly named

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Sean M on September 26 2007 at 5:25 PM]

Mid sept 2007 hike to Borah peak.

No snow on the trail except for a few small pathes. Clear day long views.

I left at 6am flashlight in hand. On up the well marked trail to chicken out ridge where I got up a ways and saw no further way to go. So I sat about 20 minutes a bit disappointed that I was chickening out. But then a group of 4 other hikers were coming along. I went back down about 20 yards and talked with the 1st two guys. They went on ahead of me. I saw how they went up at the yellow rock part (staying close to the ridgetop in a 4 point <both hands both feet> climb) and decided to at least go back up to where they were. They had stopped just out of sight and the one guy turned back downhill.

I got up to where the more experienced guy was, only about 30 feet up from where I originally was. We got to a point where you had to go slightly to the right, 4 pointing a small wall … dont slip!! … and I refound the walking trail! I called to the guy “Heres the trail, do it with me dude” He decided to see what his friends were going to do and they all 4 turned back.

Having refound the trail gave me inspiration though. After that It seemed the trail may lead around an obstacle to the left so I went that way past another “dont slip or die zone” and up a crack with some natural “stairs” to the top of the ridge then descended straight down 15′ or so feet to the knife edge about 2 feet wide with steep slopes on both sides to the main trail and final saddle.

The final push was a tough one, but I made it. A beautiful clear day wonderful view from the top and the American and Idaho flag posted there. I stayed about 15 mins took some pics and headed back down.

On the way back down chicken out ridge I was glad I took a small food break on the return trip. You dont want to be shaky coming down that ridge! I am not very religious man, but I was praying to God on the way back down. I retraced my steps, but I found it quicker but scarier on the way down. The stairs were a 5 point descend for me hands feet and butt. Dont slip at those stairs, at the bottom to the right was a long tumble and at the bottom to the left was the no slip zone way out.

They say its the 6th hardest state hp. I want to do all the states that I can do in a one day hike. I figure about 44 states. Mt Borah pushed my limits for sure, but I gave that mountain all I had, my strength my fear my respect and every bit of energy in my 42 yr old body. My gf told me my face was purple upon my return to the trailhead. I wanted to sleep on the trail for a couple hrs, but I saw her at the bottom waiting so I came straight down. It is probably the hardest state hp that someone could do in one day so I feel pretty happy about making it.

Thats #2 in the west and #11 overall for me in one year and one month since I started climbing state highpoints in august 2006. Woo!! Hoo!!! I made it!!!

There is no shame for anyone who “chickens out” on chicken out ridge. It just means your sane. Sean M

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.