New Directions to summit (old road is closed)

Home Private: Forums Illinois-Charles Mound New Directions to summit (old road is closed)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Eric A. Ebele on May 2 2005 at 10:57 AM]

On April 29th 2005 I hit my 8th state summit and my 5th in one week. I flew into Chicago and rented a car then drove to Galena IL. If you are using Paul Zumwalt’s book for directions it can be a bit off. You do need to take stagecoach trail (called stagecoach road in his book) it does not turn directlly off of US20 I think you head into town from the east on the 20 then turn right at the stoplight after the gas station then turn right again at the second stop sign (thats what I was told at the gas station but there was a lot of construction downtown when I was there so had to take a detour). once on Stagecoach Trail look for the signs to Scales Mound, some how I missed them and had to back track a bit but if you read the signs right its not bad. Once in scales mound stay on the main road and fallow it through town and it should take cross a railroad track, the road dose make a few turns. The people at the gas station/auto shop by the tracks are very helpfull and right across the street is the office of the Wuebbles if they are there I would stop in and ask permision before going on their land to get to the summit, if they are not then you can try calling them from the gas station. I tried to call but they were not home. From town head north and when you get to the intersection of CR-4 and Charles Mound Road stay of CR-4 and head north. The old way was to take the Charles Mound Road to the driveway but The Wuebbels built a new driveway to their lot and the old one is now closed off buy two gates. From CR-4 you will see a very long driveway marked private drive and will have a security sign there as well take the driveway to the small dirt parking area and park buy the HIGHPOINTERS sign and walk up the dirt road to the summit. Please respect the owners property they have had trouble in the past and have been nice enough to let people walk to the summit. I am sorry that I did not get to talk to them While I was there, I would have liked to thank them personaly.
      hope this helps and if I missed anything let me know.

“Reaching the summit is optional,getting back down isn’t” – Ed Viesturs

highpointersclub
      Participant

Only Five Summer Weekend Visitations Permitted

[Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: roger on August 26 2005 at 3:39 PM]

Eric:
      You were getting your directions from an old book. Because of theft problems the Wuebbels have asked that visits be restricted to just the first weekends of June, July, Aug., Sept. Details are at:
      https://highpointers.org/?p=25

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.