Trailhead Info

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant
      [Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Jack on February 11 2003 at 12:17 PM]

I’ve hike the MD HP twice before in 1999 and 2001. My post here is in reference to driving past the trailhead Jan 2003. Since I knew where to look, I was looking for markings of the trailhead. Going south on 219 there is some big MD HP spraypainted on the guardrail. However going north (from the south) there is no clear sign. The best early warning going north is passing the wind farm at the ridge of Backbone Mt before the Trailhead to the MD HP. If you see the sign for the Smallest Church, you’ve gone too far. Remember the trailhead for the MD HP is in WV, as is almost all the hike. I hope this helps.
      highpointersclub
      Participant

Directions from South to North

[Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
      [By: Gene on February 26 2003 at 9:51 PM]

The State Highway Adm for WV does not appreciate the spray paint on the guardrail indicating the Maryland Highpoint. There is a sign up in the tree on the left from the South – it is high so that it does not disappear.

Coming from the North there is a WV Adopt-A-Road sign with the words “Maryland Highpoint Friends” – this is to give notice that the entrance is close by as noted by the various pull offs for parking on your left.

As soon as winter breaks from all of the heavy snow and spring fills the air, improvements will be made as far as signage.

Bear with us, please.

Thanks and enjoy Maryland’s Highest Point. Leave only Footprints.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.