Upcoming Highpointer Events
- Fatality at Mirror Lake West of Outpost Camp on Mount Whitney
- Writer Karen Sykes Believed Killed on Rainier
- 3 Helicopter Rescues in June on Katahdin
- Mount Magazine Butterfly Festival June 20-21
- Baxter Closes Katahdin’s Abol Trail For Season Following Rock Slide
- 4 Climbers and 2 Guides Killed on Rainier’s Liberty Ridge
- Idaho Swarm Earthquakes Subsiding
- First Everest Summiter in 2014 Flew Up By Helicopter
- Profile of Bravo Company Which Does Helicopter Rescues on Rainier
- Climber Falls 1,000 Feet From Hood Summit
- Hood Snowpack Surges from 50 to 99% of Normal
- Mount Washington Warns on April Avalanches at Tuckerman Ravine
- Everest Jump Live Cancelled After Joby Ogwyn Loses Sherpa in Deadly Avalanche
- New York 46er Video
- North Dakota Says Public Can’t Comment on Drilling Proposals Affecting Private Land Including Impact on White Butte
- ABC Television Show “Resurrection” Set in Arcadia, Missouri, Premieres March 9
- Bucket List of Things You Should Do in Each State
- 69th Annual Skinny Skis Stowe Derby
- Late Season Snows Bring Mount Hood Snowpack Up to Near Normal
- Cheaha Temporarily Closes in Wake of Ice Storm
Tags2004 2nd Quarter 2004 4th Quarter 2005 Mount Washington 2006 Mount Mitchell 2007 Timms Hill 2009 High Point New Jersey 2010 Convention 2011 Convention 2012 Convention 2013 Convention About the Club Access Restrictions Aron Ralston Chairman Column Charity Climbs Completer stories Conventions Email Alerts Frank Ashley Awards General Highpointers Foundation Indiana Interviews Iowa Jakk Longacre Memorial John Mitchler Membership Member Updates Merc Minutes - Board Minutes - General Membership Mississippi New Jersey Newsletter Obituaries Paul Zumwalt Award podcast Polls Rhode Island Silent Auction States Tennessee Video Videos Vin Hoeman
David Covill got this note from Osceola County Economic Development Executive Director Kirk Grau requesting that visits to the highpoint be done in daylight hours since the house is rented and also noting that the new campground by the highpoint has opened and there is a fee for staying there.
Karin Harmon, executive director of “Friends of Kings Peak,” who received a 2013 Paul Zumwalt Award for work on the summit in Utah sent the following note thanking the club for the award as well as Highpoint Liaison Stony Burk for the trail junction sign at Henry’s Fork.
Thanks to an initiative mostly from highpoint liaison chairman Stony Burk the Club has begun saving historic registers. He just turned over the reigsters from Granite and Borah Peaks for safekeeping.
I think Granite needs a new canister since a summit creature has eaten into a corner and found the register to be pretty tasty.
The Club (thanks mostly to Stony’s efforts) keeps historic registers for Rhode Island, Connecticut, Indiana, Wisconsin, Idaho, Montana, Mississippi and Michigan.
Bomber and Nena Brown are back from their summer vacation and the Merc has reopened.
The Lake County News-Sun has an article on 50-completer Tim Townsend.
Always quotable Tim was at the Maine convention in Millenocket and his blogs of his adventures have been around for more than 15 years. We last posted here on his proposed Highpointers Secret Handshake.
The Highpointers Foundation met during the convention on July 20, 2013 in Maine.
Bruce Marshall presentation at the 2013 Maine convention talking about the challenge.
The Apex 2 Challenge is seeking to place highpointers on top of every summit on June 29, 2019. Bruce Marshall led the effort on Apex 1 which occurred on June 29, 1994. He has a book for free download as well as details of the upcoming event on apexchallenge.com
Hawkeye Point in Iowa will host the 2015 convention. Hawkeye was nominated by Jim Sutton who hosted the 2007 convention at Timms Hill, Wisconsin. Jim’s presentation included some nifty hawkeye black and gold t-shirts.
Convention chairman Nikki Hemphill organized a very funny counterpoint getting her entire crew to raise papers urging South Dakota at the conclusion of Jim’s speech. Otherwise there was no opposition.