Beaver Dam Wash – deserthiker on Dec 29, 2010, 12:42 AM

Home Private: Forums Lowpoint Discussions Utah-Beaver Dam Wash Beaver Dam Wash – deserthiker on Dec 29, 2010, 12:42 AM

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      highpointersclub
      Participant

[Ed: This was imported from America’s Roof Forum – http://www.network54.com/Forum/215753/message/1293601349/Beaver+Dam+Wash]

A friend and I purchased ( from SITLA) the land in Utah on Arizona border that includes the lowest elevation spot in Utah. After the January 2005 floods the lowest elevation averaging many GPS measurements is about 2165 ft. Those floods reduced the elevation of the lowest spot a good 3-4 feet. The fence on the border was replaced on Beaver Dam Wash afterward. Last week the area flooded fairly heavily but I haven’t checked if any significant erosion has occurred and lowered the elevation any further. This year the fence on the Utah Arizona border got signs marking it as the boundary for the new Beaver Dam Wash National Conservation Area. This includes the fence on the wash itself despite that section being private property. You use to be able to drive in from the north ( done it many times in a Subaru) except for about a year after the 2005 floods. Now with the new National Conservation Area designation you can access the wash from the north on the dirt road but you aren’t supposed to drive down the wash. ATVers still do illegally. From the south you could drive in with a high clearance vehicle to the Utah border. Probable a bit too rough for a car. This spot and the south slope along Highway 91 along the Utah Arizona border tends to heat up very quickly even in winter on sunny days. A few weeks ago it was 36 degrees in Mesquite at about 8:30 am about 20 minutes later I was on the Utah Border and it was 56 degrees. St. George and even Mesquite do get temperature inversions in the winter. In late winter ( March) temperatures have exceeded 100 degrees on occasion on this property. I imagine it would be the hottest spot in Utah in the summer as well but I have never been there during the summer.

highpointersclub
      Participant

[Ed: This was imported from America’s Roof Forum – http://www.network54.com/Forum/215753/message/1295408801/Lowered+a+bit+more]

The lowest elevation spot in Utah on Beaver Dam Wash did drop another foot or 2 from erosion from the floods in Dec 2010.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.