Fort Reno, DC

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  highpointersclub 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

highpointersclub
    Participant

Fort Reno – 10/19/06

[Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
    [By: Mark S on October 20 2006 at 8:52 PM]

Well, I wouldn’t exactly call this a trip report but I did have a short and sweet visit to the lofty 429-foot highpoint of Washington DC right around dusk on 10/19/06. Based on its own highpointing merits, Fort Reno ain’t so bad … at least it probably rates better than Ebright Azimuth or Britton Hill. The highpoint at 39th and Fessenden is an actual unmistakable little mound of ground that could even be classified as a hill if one was in a generous mood. The problem is that they dropped it right in the middle of the massive traffic jam known as Washington DC and built a perimeter fence at the top of the slope so that the best you can do is find the highest point along the edge of the “summit” plateau.

Originally, I had planned on visiting Fort Reno during a February trip to DC but I was sent there unexpectedly for work for 3 days and just couldn’t resist the urge to bag another highpoint after I’d taken care of business. OK, not an actual state highpoint but extra credit nonetheless. Like I said, by the time I got there it was late and my visit was brief. Probably no more than 10 or 15 minutes as I wanted to get on the road to drive home to NY. I may visit again in February to explore around a little more thoroughly. Or maybe not. We’ll see, I guess.

highpointersclub
    Participant

Fort Reno February 28, 2009

[Ed: Imported from Americas Roof ‘Summit Trip Reports’ forum]
    [By: Shelley on June 8 2009 at 3:18 PM]

This was high point #31.5. wink.gif

My husband and I recently moved the DC Metro area so I couldn’t pass up a quick trip to our local high point.

http://www.shelleypotts.com/AboutMe/HighPoints/wrap.php?hp=DC

Shelley Melchior
    spotty4@hotmail.com
    http://shelleypotts.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.